On November 1st, I will turn 40. I feel so happy, grateful and content at this stage of my life.
It seems that the more time passes, the more I like to sink into the magic of the present moment and seek joy each and every day.
To celebrate my birthday I am asking for donations to the Born This Way Foundation.
Born This Way looks forward, toward a future that supports the wellness of young people through an evidence-based approach that is fiercely kind, compassionate, accepting, and inclusive. The foundation builds action-oriented programs and useful resources for youth to thrive and drive change in their communities. I am so passionate about supporting the future custodians of this beautiful planet – especially since I have four children of my own.
2. Your Emotions and Your Feelings Create Your Reality
3. Miracles Are Real
Just in the eleventh hour as you are about to give up, the miracle usually appears. Some call it “surrender”, others call it “letting go” and the miracles aren’t the thing you want to manifest. The miracle is the understanding of the power you have to shape your perspective in the moment of need.
4. Relationships Require Nurturing
Whether it’s your marriage, friendships, your children and family members, the dynamic you have with people you work with – when you tend to the people you surround yourself with kindness and compassion then you create a beautiful mutual support system.
5. You Don’t Have to Be Right
I’ve spent many years in my relationships arguing to be right. Now I’d rather lean in with curiosity to examine how I can see multiple perspectives rather than just through my own lens. It saves a lot of energy this way.
6. Tiny Lines Around Your Eyes Are Made from Joy
7. Assumptions Are Dangerous
8. Learn To Only Tell Stories That Are Your Own
I’ve had quite a steep learning curve with believing I was sharing from a space of vulnerability, and yet I wasn’t able to see the impact it would have on the people I was sharing the stories about. Now I have a vault, a filter that pauses before I create content to truly tune in to see if I have permission to share stories. For the most part, I’ve done my best. And now I have a radically new perspective.
9. Allow Yourself to Be Seen
Visibility has been an ongoing project of mine for the last 40 years. I was always shy and timid in front of a room of people. When I realized that I have a responsibility to educate others that are ready to change their lives, then the shyness went away. Plus, having 50 million people see your video is a game-changer.
10. Famous People Are Not Cooler Than You or More Important
The pedestal is an illusion. Everyone is human, everybody poops. Celebrities are on a manifesting journey of self-discovery too.
11. Too Much Make-Up Can Make You Look Weird
I’m just not a fan of caked-on make-up. Every time I have had a glam team do my face, I end up looking older, and feeling like my skin can’t breathe. Sometimes less is more.
12. Expensive Doesn’t Always Mean Good Quality
13. Traveling With A Nature Sound Machine Is A Must
14. Always Check There Is Toilet Paper BEFORE You Sit Down
15. You Are Responsible For Your Own Happiness
16. Giving Makes You Feel Good
For my 40th birthday, I’m asking for donations to support Lady Gaga’s BORN THIS WAY Foundation that empowers young people.
You can Donate Here.
17. Define Spirituality On Your Own Terms
Always find what resonates within your own heart and tune into how that creates magic in your life. Only you know when The Universe is guiding you and connecting with you.
18. Always Trust Your Gut Instinct
If you sense that your meal is dodgy – don’t eat it. If you are walking to your car late at night and you feel creeped out, have your phone and your keys ready. Intuition is all about tuning into what your higher self is trying to tell you in the moments when you need support.
19. You Are Good Enough
20. If You Are Supposed to Know Something It Will Be Revealed To You
This means no snooping or checking your partner’s phone. Trust is so important.
21. Life is Seasonal
Some seasons of your life will be happy and others will be somewhat of a struggle. You will get through this time and reflect on the strength that is created.
22. Invest In Nice Underwear
This one I can thank my mother for. She says it’s always important to have great foundational garments that make you feel secure.
23. Stretch Marks Turn Silver and Are Badges of Honor
Don’t invest in the creams. Wear those well-earned tiger stripes with pride.
24. Plastic Surgery Has A Steep Learning Curve of Radical Acceptance
I had a tummy tuck this year and I’m still in the process of learning to love the “new normal”. I don’t regret my empowered decision for a moment – however, I am grateful for exploring this option after debating it for 18 years. Also, Botox isn’t for me. I tried it when I was 33 and couldn’t express myself with my eyebrows. No judgment — it’s just not my jam.
25. People Find Different Things Funny
Haha. I’ve learned this when delivering different speeches. What one group of people find hilarious, might translate to crickets chirping for another audience.
26. Be Prepared
First aid kits, a needle and thread, a fire extinguisher, spare cash, baby wipes, and sunscreen. On the day of my wedding I received my bridal gown back from the dry-cleaners with a broken zipper! Thankfully, my Dad had packed a needle and thread in his suitcase to save the day.
27. Babies Arrive In Their Own Time and Not A Moment Sooner
I’ve been pregnant 10 times. Sadly, I lost 6 tiny heartbeats. Four beautiful babies made it earth-side and are my pride and joy Thomas at 36 weeks. Olivia at 38 weeks. Lulu at 39 weeks. Ava at 37 weeks. Being a mother has been the best thing ever.
28. Always Be On Time, If You Can
Not sure what happened earlier in my life to make me anxious of being late. Always being on time is a matter of integrity for me.
29. Hold Compassion, Beyond Judgement for People That Have Made Mistakes In Life
See No 7: Assumptions are dangerous.
30. Mean People (like online trolls) Tend to Project Their Insecurities So Don’t Take It Personally.
31. Set Personal Boundaries and Protect Your Peace
32. Remember that Money Is Energy
33. Invest In Your Sense of Adventure
Moving to Las Vegas from Australia in 2015 was one of the best decisions of my life.
34. Surround Yourself With Supportive Influences
And to the party poopers – please keep your distance.
35. Eat The Rainbow
Except don’t taste the rainbow as the Skittle tagline suggests. Eat whole, vibrant foods and watch what happens to your health. Eat to fuel your body, and bring mindfulness to your food choices. You won’t always get that right and it’s totally okay.
36. Your Dress Size or Weight Does Not Determine Your Value As A Person
37. You Will Never Be Given More Than You Can Handle
38. Try To Live Outside of Your Comfort Zone
39. There Are No Mistakes or Wrong Turns
You’re here to learn and grow and The Universe delivers the best lessons to support you.
40. You Do Not Need Anyone’s Approval But Your Own
For my birthday this year, I'm asking for donations to Born This Way Foundation. I've chosen this nonprofit because their mission means a lot to me, and I hope you'll consider contributing as a way to celebrate with me. Every little bit will help me reach my goal of $10,000.
Lady Gaga says, “In order to heal you have to feel.” So she and her mother Cynthia, founded Born This Way Foundation, a non-profit committed to supporting young people and empowering them to create a kinder, braver world.
Thank you so much!