I teach my mastermind students and people in my blogging community all about the importance of authenticity and blogging from your heart. To do this, you need to allow your audience to get to know you. However, a lot of people refrain from putting themselves ‘out there’ because they’re fearful of being judged. By giving yourself permission to be vulnerable and visible, you open yourself up to a whole new world of possibilities. If I didn’t live this philosophy I wouldn’t have landed a book deal, met my husband or attracted any media attention for my business. My open hearted approach to online business has been very successful.
Remember: If your readers trust you then you will build a strong, loyal and powerful tribe. This is so important for the growth and longevity of your entrepreneurial adventures.
Blogging from your heart + your authentic self = beautiful connection and engagement for the growth of your brand.
So in the spirit of connection here are 20 Things You Didn’t Know About Me.
I’d love for you to post your own #20Things and link to them in the comments section below. xo
- As a child I used to hide food in my mother’s shoes if I didn’t want to eat it. In fact, my relationship with food has been weird my whole life. I was anorexic and bulimic when I was younger. I’ve found having a mostly Vegan diet is the best choice for me.
- When I was about 17ish my mother told me I had two older half-brothers that she’d kept a secret from me and my little sister for our whole lives. We went through the process of finding them and reuniting. They are both incredible human beings.
- I was a runner up in a beauty pageant when I was 16. It was called the ‘Miss Red Hill Show Girl’ contest. I won some money, a tiara and a sash. I also got to ride around in a convertible car and wave at people. I did the pageant as a dare from one of my friends. If I didn’t win a prize I would have had to eat a whole jar of mayo.
- Dairy is my Kryptonite. FACT: I would rather eat a piece of dog poo, than a piece of cheese or butter. This might sound revolting and extreme but it’s supposed to illustrate my dislike.
- I was born in Wanganui, New Zealand, and we moved to Australia when I was 5.
- I met my husband on Twitter when I was married to my first husband. Sean and I became friends (just friends) and it wasn’t until I left my 10 year marriage that enough time had passed for us to spontaneously fall in love. Sean flew from California to Australia for a date. It was 11 magical days that turned into a forever situation.
- I am an intuitive person that is super responsive to energy. I have strongly felt the presence of my children before they were conceived. In fact, I had a dream of my son when I was just 16. He said: ‘See you when I’m ready to be born Mummy.’ And he had an English accent. Sure enough, I was pregnant 4 years later and married a man from England.
- I designed a range of gift wrap for Hallmark when I was 14. The designs were in major department stores and it landed me media attention. This is where my entrepreneurial bug began.
- I have been pregnant 9 times. I lost my first pregnancy when I was 20 at 16 weeks. I then got pregnant with Thomas in 2001 and then Olivia in 2006. The week before I married Sean in 2013, I had the first of 5 consecutive miscarriages. My ninth pregnancy, after thinking that I couldn’t have another child resulted in Lulu Dawn. She’s now 4 weeks old today as I’m writing this post.
- My family are an artistic and eccentric bunch of people. My Dad is a watercolourist (you can Google A.A Prout). My mother has illustrated a ton of children’s books but is now a musician. I had my first solo art show when I was 19.
- I believe in ghosts. I’ve seen them, heard them and can detect them if they are around. No, I’m not John Edwards and have no interest in getting messages from the other side. I try and stay away from that type of energy.
- In 2013, I got married in Las Vegas at the Rumor Boutique Hotel where they filmed a wedding from The Bachelor. My decor was pink (of course) and we had a giant and oh-so-beautiful Vegan wedding cake.
- In 2005, I had a dream about a giant 3.7 million dollar house that was not too far from where I lived. In the dream I lived there and my ex-husband came to collect the kids for the day. It had giant gates and was in the best position in the entire suburb. In 2013, I moved in there with my new husband and the kids. Not in a million years would I have thought it was possible to rent that home. We lived there for 8 months.
- I didn’t get my driver’s licence until I was 29.
- Nail biting is such a nasty habit and I did it for most of my life. Hiding my hands was something I always had to do until I read that nail biting represents self-hatred. So I stopped, and now have beautiful long nails.
- I don’t have any fillings and I have eaten a lot of sugar in my lifetime.
- I’ve lived in Gothenburg, Sweden and loved it. We think the next stop is America, but we’re not sure yet if that’s a possibility.
- I am a survivor of domestic violence. It was a 10 year learning curve to make me who I am today. I’ve let go of the pain of ‘the story’ and know that it served a divine purpose.
- Pink is my super-power colour. Also, things that sparkle make me a little giddy.
- I am fiercely loyal and honest. My husband and my children are my world and I would protect them with my life.
Now it’s your turn to write a #20Things – please link to your post below. I’d love to see what you have to share. xo